The Story Of Us

Sunday, November 8, 2009

I knew I wasn't crazy...

Forever ago, at our last Mommy & Me playgroup, I asked the lactation consultant if she thought Presley's frenulum was short. That's the little thing that attaches your tongue to the base of your mouth. You are considered tongue-tied if it's too short. Well, she looked at it and didn't think so, but she suggested asking Dr. P, our pediatrician for a consultation for a feeding evaluation from speech therapy at a local hospital. I really felt that something wasn't right about the way Presley STILL didn't latch well while nursing and you could just literally pull the bottle right out of her mouth. She had no grip on it whatsoever.

So me being the good mother that I am, I procrastinated and waited until Presley's 4 mo checkup to ask Dr. P about it. Instead of just calling her oh so long ago and asking for the consult. Anyway, Dr. P took a look at Presley's mouth and agreed that something was off about her sucking. She said Presley had good control of her tongue in the back, but didn't have any suction in the front of her tongue. So she decided to do the consult to see if there was anything they could do to help her get it together.

So, fast forward to Friday and we had our visit with the speech therapist. She watched Presley eat a bottle and suck on her paci. The therapist right off the bat said, "Yeah her sucking is really disorganized." THANK YOU PEOPLE! I've been telling you that something wasn't right with Presley's eating!! The therapist is going to be seeing Presley twice a week for therapy in order to help her sucking. We didn't set up a definite time because she needs to get a game plan together of what exercises she could do with Presley. I asked her if she thought that this would help Presley nurse better and she said "hopefully"!

I'll take hopefully! :)

I fell really bad that I didn't call Dr. P sooner to get the ball rolling. But, Presley's a HEALTHY girl, so it's not like she suffered from it!! And it's just the beginning of a long list of regrets I'll have as a parent...because I won't do everything right. You just do the best you can and hope for the best! Oh, and PRAY... a lot!

0 comments: