The Story Of Us

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Expectations

Here is a poem that the birthing class instructor gave us last night. Next week will be our last class and couples who have gone through the class and subsequently have had babies, will come back and share their stories. I think it would be really cool to hear all of their different experiences with birth. So hopefully we'll make it to that class!

Anyway here is the sweet poem called "Expectations"

It is important to me
that I spend a part of
the next few hours here
alone with you
in the darkness.
You and I will never
be this close again.
By morning you will be
a tiny person
all your own.
No longer the kicking,
demanding bulge
in my body that
I have grown to love so well.
I pray God will safely
guide you on your journey
and I ask him for the strength
to help you all I can.
Again you signal your
impatience to be free.
Time to wake your daddy.
-anonymous


Oh my goodness, I cried when I first read it and I'm tearing up now! The end of pregnancy is so bittersweet! I thought a few weeks ago I was so ready for it to be over and for us to be able to hold our "outside" baby. But now I realize I'll never get this time back with my precious baby, where it's just the two of us. And s/he is safe inside my womb. Even though your husband or partner can support you 100%, they can't really know what's going on inside. A mother and her child are forever linked in a way that no other two people on earth are. And it makes me sad that in just a short time, it will be over. (I can see now how postpartum depression starts, good grief!) Anyway, I'm still excited for the birth and to be able to see Sweet Pea face to face. I'm just a little less gong-ho about it happening today!

So of course, that probably means that it will all happen today!! ;)

0 comments: