The Story Of Us

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sweet Pea's test run!

Well, we spent the night in labor and delivery on Tuesday night. I went to work as usual and things were going as usual and then BAM! 10 pm hit and so did the contractions. Very painful ones at that! Dr. D, my OB, had said to come to the L&D Triage area if I ever have more than 5 contractions in one hour. After the 4th contraction in 20 minutes, I decided to call Jeremiah and have him meet me in Triage.

I got downstairs at 11 and Jeremiah made it there by 11:15. They hooked me up to the monitors and I was having contractions pretty much one right after the other. I was dilated to 2.5 cm, which is only half a centimeter bigger than I previously was. The nurse started an IV, got some blood for labs, and a urine specimen. They gave me a shot of pain medicine around 1:30 am to see if I was in "true" labor or not. The theory was if these contractions were not true, then the pain medication would help me relax and hopefully make the contractions stop. Well, they didn't stop, although it was weird that some were really painful and some of them I couldn't even feel. The nurse came in about 2 hours after the pain medicine and said I was only dilated to 3 cm. (Not much progress!) So she called Dr. D and she wanted to observe me overnight since I had made a little bit of progress, though not much!

We got to an L&D room about 4 am and it was a welcome change! I got a real bed (not just a stretcher) and Jeremiah got to sit/sleep on a couch (not just an upright chair!). We both dozed on and off for the next few hours and Dr. D came in to see me at 6:50 am. She said I was still around 3 cm, but wanted to keep me at least until lunch time to see if the contractions I was still having would make me progress any more. We walked around the L&D floor for an hour and a half straight, but nothing else happened! So when Dr. D came in at 12, she decided to send us home. I was very frustrated, but could understand why she couldn't help me along with any medicine. I was only 36 weeks and 1 day, so it would be better if Sweet Pea cooked a little longer.

I haven't been that disappointed in a long while! We came so close to seeing Sweet Pea that day! And I'll admit it, I'm selfish. I'm ready to have an outside baby! I'm tired of being tired and uncomfortable 24/7 and I'm ready to hold and love on Sweet Pea. Not to mention to FINALLY find out if we have a Mr or Miss! But Dr. D did give us some hope! She said she didn't think it was going to happen on Wednesday, but that she definitely thought it would be within the next few days! So I guess we'll wait and see!

0 comments: