The Story Of Us

Monday, July 12, 2010

Between Us Moms

I read an article recently that discussed mothers who work outside the home and mothers who stay at home with their children. I wish I could remember which article and which magazine it was from! (my brain is still reeling from pregnancy with Presley brain!) Anyway, the article discussed the pitfalls of each choice. (I hate when the word "choice" is used. some moms HAVE to go back to work after baby in order to live....stepping off soapbox now.) It was a really interesting read because most of the time you are either on one side or the other, meaning you are working or staying at home. It's hard to see the other viewpoint when you aren't living it directly.

But, it got me thinking. I know just in my personal experience
I absolutely had to return to work. It wasn't a matter of just being able to afford little extra vacations and such. It was a matter of we wouldn't be living in a house, driving 2 cars, etc. I wished, super hard, that I could somehow be able to live my dream of staying at home so I could raise my babies, cook nutritious meals from scratch and have my house be spotless. Ha ha! How funny is that? I quickly realized in the 12 weeks I was on maternity leave that that (most of the time) isn't the life of a stay at home mom and it isn't so easy. I felt like I never got a break and the only mommy-mommy interaction I got was from a 2 hour get together that met twice a month. Granted I know that my experience was only 12 weeks, but I think I got a pretty good taste for it. I would still love to be able to be with Presley 24/7, but I think I've finally come to terms with the fact that staying home isn't in the cards right now for me, maybe it won't ever be. I'm extremely blessed to work 3 nights a week (although night shift is killing me....literally I'm a zombie.) and have 4 days off with Presley where I DO get to play the role of staying home mommy.

I know that some stay at home moms do have wealthy husbands, thus not worrying about money. And I also know that some stay at home moms pinch penneys and clip coupons to be able to do so. And you know what, I admire EACH of them! I can't imagine being in either person's shoes, because well, I'm not. We as a human race have an awful habit of judging others as if we know what is going on. Well, we don't because even if you can be lumped into the same category as another person, you are not them. You do not know what they face every morning when they get up and what they go through in a day. My hat is off to all of the stay at home moms and work from home moms......you gals rock! =)

It's so easy to say that working moms have it made- you get the career and the kids. And it's so easy to say that stay at home moms have it made- you get to be with your kids...at home.

But you know what the awesome thing about motherhood is...
there is no one right way to do it!

your child will love you no matter what.

3 comments:

Sarah @ A day in the life said...

I LOVE our Mommy&Me! I've officially decided that we are organizing a Toddler&Me class that will meet on days that you are off! Ha!
And by the way, I think you're one tough (amazing) cookie for being a working mom. :)

Keli said...

great post. i have done it all. work,school,work&school,staying at home. I must say we are quick to say we want something and when we get it we want the other way back.

Care said...

I agree with this completely and with Mommyto2 above. I've been everything (single mom, teen mom, working mom, working full time while in college and a single mom, then now a stay at home mom). Staying at home is HARD mentally for me and it was never a dream of mine. I got layed off and now it doesnt make sense financially to get a job. Im at a crossroads right now, but can say that at every stage of the game, there has been a negative and a positive! Motherhood is hard, but rewarding!