The Story Of Us

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thankful on Thursday

I don't have many friends, I never have. I am one of those kind of people that just have a few close friends. I might have a lot of acquaintances....you know the kind of people you just say hi to every once in a while on facebook or something. But not really a lot of best friends. Anyway, it didn't really use to bother me until Presley was born. I started freaking out wondering who I was going to bond with as a new mom and thinking Presley would never have any friends because we wouldn't meet friends as a couple (Presley and I) and we wouldn't be able to have any play dates, and on and on. I got anxious just thinking about it.

I found the Mommy & Me group when Presley was probably 2 or 3 weeks old. I didn't go until she was 6 or 7 weeks just out of fear of HOW to go. (Looking back I wish I had gone sooner and just got over my fear of how to talk to people and realized that Presley nor I had to look perfect and have the "in" accessories in order to go. Sorry, I'm rambling!) So, I met a couple of people with babies around Presley's age and it has taken me a year to venture outside of just talking about going and doing things with them, to actually doing them! We had lunch with Amanda a few times while Piper and Presley were still so little that we just left them sleeping in their carseats! But other than that, we haven't done anything. That's were my self-pitying comes in. I get to thinking that I'm the only one who doesn't have any friends, and blah, blah, blah. Yucky mood ensues.

~Saturday, two weeks ago, we went to a splash pad in Pensacola with Sarah & John Parker and then went and ate cupcakes. Then the following Friday we went to Amanda & Piper's house to eat lunch, swim and play. (It was our first time in someone's home and Presley did so great. I pictured her swinging off their fans and biting Piper or something!) And today we had Kimberly & Anna over for breakfast and to play! I've enjoyed these last few weeks with all of these mamas so much. Motherhood is SO bonding. No one else understands how you feel other than other mamas. I never thought I could be so connected to someone through discussing tantrums, naps (or lack of) and poop!

So, today I am so thankful for mama friends, even the few ones that I do have. I hope the trend of all of our play dates continues. Sometimes I just need to make myself call people and DO things.

3 comments:

Sarah @ A day in the life said...

It is SO hard! But we love you guys! Yay for mommy friends! And we miss Amanda and Piper, tell them we said hello, (yes, JP said it too!) :)

Keli said...

i understand how you feel. I had ZERO mommy friends when Trenten was a baby. Friendships change a lot after you're a mommy.

Keli said...

oh.. and I LOVE her hair like that... too cute!